We are currently working on our site. Please check back for added information or feel free to call our
office for assistance. Thank you!
office for assistance. Thank you!
Our Mission Statement: To protect the environment along with assisting landowners with knowledge of the rules so that together we may be successful in conserving our land, water and other natural resources.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT:
* 2014 SWCD Board Election: This year the Rock Soil and Water Conservation district has 2 Supervisor positions up for election. SWCD candidates appear on the ballot for the general election which will take place November 4, 2014. Candidates are elected county wide but must reside in one of the nomination districts up for election. The nominating districts and candidates running for election this year include:
District II: Alex Miller and Josh Ossefoort
District II is vacated by Vicky Smook who has served the residents of this district since 1997!
We wish to extend a huge thank you to Vicky for her time, dedication to the SWCD and a job very well done!! All our best wishes to you Vicky!
District V: Angie Raatz
District V is vacated by Don Reker who has served the residents of this district since 1997!
We wish to extend a huge thank you to thank Don for his time, dedication to the SWCD and a job very well done!! All our best wishes to you Don!
CONGRATUATIONS TO JOSH OSSEFOORT AND ANGIE RAATZ ON THEIR ELECTION TO THE SWCD BOARD! We appreciate your willingness to serve and look forward to working with you!
THANK YOU TO ALEX MILLER FOR YOUR INTEREST IN RUNNING! We appreciate your willingness to serve and hope you continue your interest in conservation!
SWCDs are special purpose units of government that manage and direct natural resource management
programs at the local level. Districts work in both urban and rural settings to carry out programs for the conservation, use and development of soil, water and related resources. SWCD Supervisors serve four year terms and meet monthly, discussing the business of the SWCD, distributing state grant allocations to landowners, setting conservation priorities and coordinating conservation efforts with other local units of government and state agencies. SWCD Supervisors are not paid a salary; however, they do receive
compensation for attending meetings and are reimbursed for expenses.
* 2014 OUTSTANDING CONSERVATIONISTS: Congratulations to Marv and Grace Tofteland and David and Jamie Tofteland, operating as TNT Farms, LLC, recipients of the 2014 Rock SWCD Outstanding Conservationist. TNT Farms has also been chosen as the Area V Finalist. The local award will be presented during the Outstanding Conservationist Luncheon, held in conjunction with the MASWCD 2014 Annual Convention, Tuesday, December 9, 2014, as well as the announcement of the state winner.
* ROCK COUNTY TREE PROGRAM: We are currently accepting orders for April 2015 delivery.
Please see our program page for details, planting policy and a list of available trees.
* SUBSURFACE TREATMENT SYSTEM (SSTS) LOANS: The Rock River Watershed received funding from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Clean Water Partnership Loan Program to assist homeowners in replacing failing septic systems. This loan program offers landowners the opportunity to acquire a loan at 3% interest. This loan is simply added to the landowners taxes and may be taken for a term of 5 or 10 years, whichever the landowner prefers. The loan applicant must own the property, however, the property does not have to be owner occupied. For an application or list of contractors click the link below or contact the Land Management Office at 283-8862 Extension 4.
Rock County Loan Application SSTS Licensed Installers
WATER TESTING AND DISINFECTING FLOODED WELLS:
We have water sample test kits in our office free of charge. Water samples taken in Rock County are sent to Minnesota Valley Testing Lab in New Ulm, MN. Test kits include instructions for sampling as well as contact information for the lab. MVTL recommends having the well tested for Coliform Bacteria (Present or Absent) and Nitrates. Please call our office if we can be of further assistance. 283-8862 Extension 4.
LANDOWNER QUICK ACCESS - click on the links for more information.
The Minnesota Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts (MASWCD),
with support from The Farmer magazine, offers the the MASWCD
Outstanding Conservationist Award to recognize individuals, conservation
organizations, and others for outstanding accomplishments with implementing
conservation practices and improving Minnesota’s natural
2013 winner is Richard Kennedy from Jasper
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
November 11 - Office Closed in observance of Veteran's Day
November 17 - SWCD Board Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office Center
November 27 & 28 - Office closed in observance of Thanksgiving
December 7-9 - SWCD State Convention, Bloomington, MN
December 15 - SWCD Board Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office Center
December 24 - Office Closes at 3 pm in observance of Christmas Eve
December 25 - Office Closed in observance of Christmas
November 11NoveNovember jkl
September 15 - SWCD Board Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office CenterSeptember 15 - SWCD Board Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office CenterSeptember 15 - SWCD Board Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office CenterSeptember 15 - SWCD Board
Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office CenterSeptember 15
- SWCD Board Meeting, 8 am, Prairie Office CenterSeNoDeDeddddyyyDece
Click the Logo for information on the Clean Water Land and Legacy.